Subject: Re: Unrecognized drives on DS3100
To: John Darrow <John.P.Darrow@wheaton.edu>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofy.goof.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/19/1999 17:19:08
On Fri, Nov 19, 1999 at 05:56:13PM -0600, John Darrow wrote:

> We have run into one problem, however:  NetBSD (either release-branch
> kernels or -current ones) fails to detect one of the drives hooked up to
> the machine.  After it detects rz0, the drive light on the second drive
> flickers a little, but NetBSD doesn't detect an rz1.

I have a similar problem on my /240 -- I have four drives hooked to it,
(1 x RZ57, 3 x MICROP 1924,) and at cold boot, the SCSI probe routines
spin all the drives up, but only one of the Micropolis drives is
recognized.  Once the drives are all spun up, they're all detected on
reboot... I always figured it was because I was running and old (1.4)
kernel, but maybe there are still some timing issues.

you might want to see if the "reboot twice" trick works.

--
  Aaron J. Grier  | "Not your ordinary poofy goof." | agrier@poofy.goof.com
   "I really admire your perverse mastery of the SPARC branch delay slot,