Subject: DECstation 5000/200: Only serial console supported?
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Florian Weimer <Florian.Weimer@RUS.Uni-Stuttgart.DE>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/16/1999 18:05:50
I'm trying to install NetBSD 1.4.1 on this machine.  After booting and
a cnfg request, it shows the following messages:

KN02-AA V5.3t
>> cnfg
 7: KN02-AA   DEC     v5.3t    TCF0    (0220cpu with  48 MB memory)
 6: PMAD-AA   DEC     v5.4a    TCF0    (enet: 08-...)
 5: PMAY-AA   DEC     v5.3d    TCF0    (SCSI = 7)
 0: PMAG-CA   DEC     v5.3a    TCF0    (PX -- D=8)

Booting Ultrix shows:

Ultrixboot - V4.5   Thu Sep 14 07:07:42 EDT 1995

I've tried the install.ecoff kernel, the ELF one didn't boot (I guess
that's because there's no ELF support in the Ultrix loader, but there
isn't any hint in the NetBSD INSTALL docs).  The kernel is loaded and
displays only a short message that I should attach a serial console.

Now my question: Will a complete installation support the local console
(that is, framebuffer, keybard, and mouse)?  If the answer is no,
installing NetBSD doesn't seem to be an option for me, unfortunately.