Subject: Re: question about xterm/rxvt
To: Kevin Schoedel <schoedel@kw.igs.net>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/13/1999 23:29:58
In message <v04210108b45399f737d1@[216.58.99.181]>Kevin Schoedel writes
>>I'd especially like to fix the rxvt problem, since
>>I prefer rxvt to xterm, and the backspace doesn't work in any other app
>>other than xterm and a few athena-based apps.
>
>I normally use rxvt running on pmax and displaying on an X terminal, and
>I have no problems. Backpace sends ^H and arrows send ^[[A through ^[[D
>as they should.

I dont understand. The big key with the <X| is a _delete_ key.
It's the same keyboard as on a VT-220 and similar to a VT-100.
That big key sends  ASCII `DEL'. Anything else would be a bug.

What exactly is it you want to do?  Does `stty erase ^?`
(that's a delete) on the remote host achieve what you want?

[...]

>- Does the X server send the right event when you press the backspace key?
>  (If you run xev and press backspace, do you get 'keysym 0xff08, BackSpace',
>  or something else?)

Of course not. You get the correct keysym: 0xFFFF, Delete. (Note that
LK-201s, LK-401s, and LK-50s dont have a key labelled `del' in the
six-key array above the arrow keys.)

If you want an ASCII backspace, type Ctrl-H. If you want to emulate
(long-standing, now dominant) IBM-PC broken-ness, use xmodmap to remap
your `Delete' key to Backspace. But that's not what the Delete key is.

I guess all  this makes me a grumpy old man...