Subject: Re: DS5000/200 testing????
To: Simon Burge <simonb@NetBSD.ORG>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/31/1999 12:40:00
> > How can I test a bare 5000/200 chassis with only a serial console?
> >
> > I have a nice 5000/200 box, with what appears to be 3 of the big
> > ram modules (24mb? or 48mb?), and a PMAG card.  But, I don't have
> > the monitor for it.  I do have the keyboard and port dongle to the
> > mouse.
>
> They'll either be 8MB or 32MB modules.

There are 8 groups of 9 chips of the 41000 size on each board, so I think
they are probably 8M boards for 24M total.  Is that sufficient to run
a 5000/200 or should I be looking for more?

> > IF I remove the PMAG card, can it be tested with a serial terminal?
>
> That's correct.
>
> > If so, which ports and what wiring is required?
>
> Use the port marked "3" - it's the closest serial port to the reset
> button.  It's a normal 25 pin serial port - I think you need a null
> modem if you are plugging it into a PC.

OK, I will try that.  I am using a VT420 console, so the usual DEC
dongle on the mmj cable will apply.

It seems to walk through the idiot lights on the back panel, but without
anything  hooked up, it eventually stops.

> > IS a scsi bus terminator required on the back of the case, just for
> > testing purposes?
>
> We run just about all of our diskless machines and most of our 5000/1xx with
> just an internal disk without SCSI terminators...

One guy here was saying that it would nuke the motherboard without a
scsi terminator, so I though  I would check to be sure.  It looks like
a rather lean and mean machine, if I can resurrect it.

Thanks

Bob