Subject: Re: Sad day. My poor RZ's. (slightly off topic)
To: Douglas S. Meade <doug@umd.edu>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/31/1999 01:55:02
Warner Losh wrote:

> I don't think these drives suffer from the "sticktion" problem that
> early quantums are known for where the libricant would vaporize and
> condense as a glue-like substance (or some adhesive would vaporize and
> condense on the spindle axle).

I'd disagree with this - I've had a few RZ57's and RZ58's get stiction.
Two of the four on my old home box had this problem, and we've had more
than a few at work the same.

> In those cases a sharp, quick blow on
> a hard surface usually fixed them...  I wouldn't try this unless you
> are desperate.

I'm pretty sure I've described my technique before, but it summary I
whack the side of the drive with the handle of a screwdriver about two
or three seconds after it gets a "start unit" command.  If this doesn't
work after four or five goes then I try dropping one end of the dist
about a centimetre or so.

The simplest way to give a "start unit" command from a DECstation is to
try to boot of that disk.  Type "boot 3/rzX", press <return>, count to
three and "WHACK"...

Another technique I've heard described is to "spin" the disk about a
half-turn in the air in an attempt to get the spindle moving.  Never
tried this way though.

Simon.