Subject: Re: Sad day. My poor RZ's. (slightly off topic)
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Lord Isildur <isildur@guild.net>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/30/1999 20:52:02
hello all,

> I'd disagree with this - I've had a few RZ57's and RZ58's get stiction.
> Two of the four on my old home box had this problem, and we've had more
> than a few at work the same.

 yes, these are micropolis OEM's and ive had this problem with numerous
drives of that vintage.

> I'm pretty sure I've described my technique before, but it summary I
> whack the side of the drive with the handle of a screwdriver about two
> or three seconds after it gets a "start unit" command.  If this doesn't
> work after four or five goes then I try dropping one end of the dist
> about a centimetre or so.
>
> The simplest way to give a "start unit" command from a DECstation is to
> try to boot of that disk.  Type "boot 3/rzX", press <return>, count to
> three and "WHACK"...
>

> Another technique I've heard described is to "spin" the disk about a
> half-turn in the air in an attempt to get the spindle moving.  Never
> tried this way though.

I'd recommend this method instead of just smacking it, actually. I've
revived several disks in this manner. When just giving it a good smack,
make sure the smack is as parallel to the plane of the platters as
possible. the idea is to get them to spin:)
Another technique ive employed with several Quantum's and micropolis'
is to open the unit up, remove the spindle cap, and relubricate
thebearing, with a very very lightt machine oil or even some zep-45.
close it up, let it sit flat for at least all night, maybe spin the
thing manually a few revolutions to even the distribution, but DONT spin
it up until the oil has had a chance to settle. just a drop is enough.
reassemble the drive and such, and again i emphasize letting it sit!
 then they spin up like a charm. of course, you must be careful of dust
and such..

by all means, try to avoid hitting the drive in a direction where the blow
has any component perpendicular to the surface of the platters! this will
potentially cause th eheads to bounced off the surface, nicking it a bit
and causing an irregularity inthe airflow and potentilaly hasten the
demise of the disk! always strike or hand-turn it in a direction parallel
to the surface, you want to create enough torque between the moving house
and the intertially static spindle/platters to get the thing to spin when
themotor isnt strong rnough.

just my $2E-2
happy hacking,
Lord "alas for the days when disk drives had BIG MOTORS!" Isildur