Subject: Re: Debuuger problem on serial console
To: Andrzej W=?ISO-8859-2?Q?=f3jkowski_?= <admin@cordef.com.pl>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.msu.montana.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/30/1999 10:15:33
On Sat, 30 Oct 1999, Andrzej W[ISO-8859-2] =F3jkowski  wrote:

> I'd like to raport the following problem:
> if you use serial console and standard pc box as terminal, when pc is up,
> everything is OK. But, if your pc box went sleep, connected pmax (in my
> case Decstation 5000/20) starts debugger mode (uncomfortable, when your
> DEC acts as Internet server). The easiest solution is to disconnect pc
> box before shutting it down, or using serial link only to start/stop
> machine and working using telnet/ssh. Any more elegant solutions?

  Simplest solution is to build a kernel without the debugger :-)

  What version of NetBSD are you using?

  There's an option to not enter the debugger on a serial console break,
which I think can be set with a kernel config option and/or by sysctl.
I'm not certain at what point in time that option became available.  If
you do a sysctl ddb, there will be a ddb.fromconsole entry if your kernel
has this.  You could build a kernel with "options DDB_FROMCONSOLE=3D0",
which would default to not entering the debugger on a serial break.  Then
if you need to be able to do that, you can use sysctl to enable it.  [I
suspect in this case, the reason for needing to get into the debugger is
probably  because the system is hung bad enough where you couldn't execute
the sysctl and you're stuck.]

  Hmm, it would appear that this option won't work on the 3100 and
5000/200 machines - then dc serial driver is still doing a direct call to
the debugger, and doesn't check ddb.db_fromconsole.

Michael

--
Michael L. Hitch=09=09=09mhitch@montana.edu
Computer Consultant