Subject: Sad day. My poor RZ's. (slightly off topic)
From: Douglas S. Meade <doug@umd.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/29/1999 17:54:46
Folks, I have to admit my wife makes me keep my Vaxes and Pmaxes out
in the shed, except for one I can occassionally sneak into the office
for "repairs" where the light is better.  I have a large number
of RZ58, RZ57 and RZ56 drives in those external SCSI boxes that
DEC made so well.  Lately, they've been dropping like flies.  I don't
know if it's the change to the cold weather, or what, but I went
through the whole collection yesterday, and found 5 that I couldn't
get to spin up anymore.  They had all been working as recently
as September.  Is there any way to save these things, or should
I just remove the disk mounting frames, and "file" them in that
big box outside the shed?

Doug