Subject: Misc Probs with 1.4.1 and Decstation 5000/200
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/28/1999 00:00:27
Heres the hardware:

DS 5000/200 KN 02-AA V5.3t
32MB RAM
PMAG-CA w/RAM expansion
2 Quantum LPS ProDrive 250MB HD's firmware rev 5900 & 590A
Monitor: SGI 19" Model CM2086A32G w/3BNC

Related Boot Environment:
    boot= -z 5 5/rz0/netbsd -aN
    console=s
    osconsole=7

Running the generic kernel #38

     The problems break down to two basic areas, SCSI and Video.
As far as SCSI goes, the system boots fine. Occasionally I will see ?RST
before the system boots and a message complaining about the frame buffer
video cable. If I run the full test from PROM, I get:

?TFL 6/ext-lb [PMAG-AA] (3:xmt [0x1, 0x2] cable) I assume this is my
ethernet hardware not being terminated but nonetheless,

?TFL 0/vdacsig [PMAG-CA] (+4+ ?montr cbl) I'm guessing this is something
along the lines of I don't like your video cable.

    I was not getting the frame buffer problem when I originally jerry
rigged the cable which consists of the innards of a 3W3 connector and a
spliced up video cable. I noticed at boot up I would see

px0 at slot 0 offset 0x0 No console raster or X11 support.

    When I couldn't get X to start because it kept saying could not find a
display and unable to open /dev/fb0, I started messing around with the
connector figuring I had one of the colors reversed. Which by the way, does
anyone know what the order of colors should be off the back of the frame
buffer from left to right? I figured it should be RGB, but that is just a
guess. I still have some more testing to do though.

    The stranger problem is that after I have boot the system and I do
shutdown -h -r or reboot, I get back to the prom only now it says:

KN02-AA V5.3t   (PC:0x8015ffb4, SP: 0xc3f76e28)

    From here if I try to boot or tried to reboot, the system just hangs. If
I run another full self test, the self test hangs on 5/sdiag. The only way
to get the system to boot again is to power cycle one of the SCSI drives. It
doesn't matter which one, just as long as I do one of them. When I power
cycled during a self test I got

?TFL 5/sdiag (dev ol) for RZ0 and RZ2

    I put in a pr on the scsi issue but I imagine the frame buffer is just a
configuration error that I missed. I can't seem to find the X11R6 docs, they
aren't where the install guide mentioned. But that was from 1.4, maybe they
didn't make it with the 1.4.1 distro I downloaded.

Thanks for chewing on all of this!

    Chris