Subject: Re: Thanks for help with DS5000/125
To: Douglas S. Meade <doug@umd.edu>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofy.goof.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/27/1999 11:51:48
On Wed, Oct 27, 1999 at 11:26:40AM -0400, Douglas S. Meade wrote:

> P.S. - Word is out that Alan Cox plans to fix knfsd to be compatible
> with NetBSD and Solaris in one of the next kernel releases.  With
> current versions such as 2.2.12 or so, you cannot mount a RedHat mount
> point from NetBSD.

I have no problem mounting NFS exports from my 2.2.12 linux box to my
NetBSD/pmax machines:

goldberry:/net/metro/home$ df -k .
Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
metro:/home    302915   250714    20911    92%    /amd/metro/home

through the automounter no less.  I haven't tried netbooting, although I
suppose if I remember when I have some spare time, I'll throw together a
howto...

The big difference with my setup is that I'm not running the knfsd
shipped by redhat, (it's known to be broken,) but one compiled from
sources provided by H.J.Liu, including rpc.knfsd and its ilk, as well as
patches for recent kernels which for some reason haven't gotten back
into the offical Linus' releases.

<RANT>Of course, this, being Linux, within the last year or so all my
old references for a stable NFS under linux have all but dissapeared or
moved without much hints.  Linux' distribution and packaging scheme is a
horrible fragmented mess.  If I didn't already have so much time
invested in Linux, and NetBSD could do some of the things Linux can in
the NAT area [1], I'd be temped to dump it entirely.  Thank god for
NetBSD.</RANT>

What follows is information I was able to glean about getting current
versions of Linux kernel NFS, which should be helpful to folks here
trying to bootstrap their old iron from Linux machines...

According to ftp://ftp.varesearch.com/pub/support/hjl/knfsd/README.nfs
NFS maintenance responsibility for linux appears to be in the hands of
varesearch, and there are instructions in the above README for how to
check out and generate NFS-related kernel patches via CVS, as well as
getting source for new (bug-fixed, I assume) knfsd and associated NFS
programs.

We now return to your not-so-fragmented, sane-in-comparison,
quietly-kicking-ass-but-not-a-media-darling NetBSD discussion...
followups to my mini-rant about Linux can and should be sent via private
email.

[1] does ipf support automatic proxying or magic rewriting of ICQ, IRQ,
    and realaudio?  Secondly, it looks like NetBSD NAT could do "reverse
    NAT," (pass incoming packets destined to a specific port to an
    internal host unmolested, and rewrite the IP on the reply packets)
    which is one of the features I make heavy use of under Linux.  [2]
    Correct?

[2] which of course has been rewritten for the third time within the
    last couple months, meaning I need to now learn yet another set of
    tools.  Grr...

--
  Aaron J. Grier  | "Not your ordinary poofy goof." | agrier@poofy.goof.com
   "I really admire your perverse mastery of the SPARC branch delay slot,