Subject: Re: update(2): Re: netboot on 5000/240 probs
To: Michael Bartosh <bartosh@apple.tamu.edu>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/26/1999 15:08:02
Michael Bartosh wrote:

> At 1:53 PM +1000 10/26/99, Simon Burge wrote:
> >Michael Bartosh wrote:
> >
> > > Should work! Worked for septilum. But console says:
> > >
> > > -tftp load
> > > ?IO 3/tftp a.out (-2)
> >
> >This looks sus - is the file "install" an a.out, ELF or ECOFF
> >file?  Using "file install" should tell you.  Failing that, try
> >"od -x install | head" and sent it to the list.
> >
> >Simon.
>
> ELF- this is right, is it not? Older kernels are ECOFF?

There's your problem!  DECstations only understand ECOFF kernels for
netbooting.  The disk bootblocks should understand all formats (a.out,
ECOFF and ELF) but I think they have a problem with ECOFF at the moment.
So on your disk, you have an ELF kernel as /netbsd, and for netbooting
you have an ECOFF kernel in the tftpboot directory.

Thus for netbooting your machine, you want the install.ecoff.gz kernel
from the release area...

Simon.