Subject: Re: netboot on 5000/240 probs
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Bartosh <bartosh@apple.tamu.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/25/1999 16:24:42
> > Got the same err with the transcever set to the wrong mode, if that makes
> > a difference. Prolly would happen without the network.
> >

> >> The PC (0x80021fe4) is not in an area that NetBSD code uses - it's
> >> marked as "Additional PROM space (64K)" according to an Ultrix header
> >> file.

> >> Not a good one unfortunately :-(
> >>

> > Do not get the err on another machine w/ a different motherboard.
>
>You see there is a difference, it's pretty good, because you have a
>plain way to spot and identify 'what difference makes the error' by
>building hypotheses and running experiments to verify/deny them using
>incremental approach of equipment/configration swap.

Actually I was mistaken. It was a 200 that started to boot correctly.

I have moved things to the internal network in ymy room rather than
keeping them at work. This is a much simplified networks so things
will be easier. Am hoping to install on the 200 and then put the disk
on the 240.  Intend to use it as a departmental ftp server
eventually. Have an old 200 running ultrix right now but we didn't
want to futz with y2k compliance. So now my linux box is seeing the
bootp request.  It's a first step...

I am still interested in the errs I was getting on the 240.

-mab