Subject: Re: netboot on 5000/240 probs
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/25/1999 12:01:15
> Did you say what version of the firmware your 5000/240 had?  We have
> a list of versions and whether or not they can boot via tftp.  I'm
> suspecting (as I think some others have suggested) that your board just
> plain doesn't like bootp and we should make sure it's on the list.

I'm worrying about DECstation firmware version issue has been
advertised too loudly.  The netboot issue in question preventing
NetBSD/pmax kernel from loading is, some version(s) of DECstation PROM
TFTP code don't like huge file like installation kernels which contain
filesystem image inside, isn't it?  (certain versions of DEC3000 SRM
do have BOOTP malfunction, but it's a different story, and known there
is a walkaround).

Tohru Nishimura
Nara Institute of Science and Technology