Subject: Re: netboot on 5000/240 probs
To: None <bartosh@apple.tamu.edu>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/25/1999 12:40:44
bartosh@apple.tamu.edu wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Oct 1999, Simon Burge wrote:
>
> > Michael Bartosh wrote:
> >
> > > Server is linux (mklinux, pmac 6100). tftp is working, bootpd is running-
> > >
> > > Transciever heartbeat is st to 'on';
> > >
> > > boot /3tftp gets:
> > >
> > > ? PC:  0x80021fe4<vtr=NRML>
> > > ? CR:  0x30000010<CE=3, EXC=AdBL>
> > > ? SR: 0x30080000<CU1,CU0,CM,IPL=8>
> > > ? UA: 0xa000sf3a
> > >
> > > And back to >>
> >
> > > Bad thing is my logging is broken on the linux box... This err comes
> > > extremely fast, though, I doubt it has time to hit the network.
> >
> > Can you double check that it doesn't hit the network - do you get
> > the same error with no network cable plugged in?
>
> Got the same err with the transcever set to the wrong mode, if that makes
> a difference. Prolly would happen without the network.
>

> > The PC (0x80021fe4) is not in an area that NetBSD code uses - it's
> > marked as "Additional PROM space (64K)" according to an Ultrix header
> > file.

Sorry I didn't follow the dicussion too closely at the end of last week - a bout
of the flu didn't help...

Did you say what version of the firmware your 5000/240 had?  We have
a list of versions and whether or not they can boot via tftp.  I'm
suspecting (as I think some others have suggested) that your board just
plain doesn't like bootp and we should make sure it's on the list.

You can get this info when the machien first powers up - it'll be the
line that starts with "KN03".  I think either an "init" or "cnfg" would
tell you the same thing.

> > > Ideas? This is my first experience w/ pmax.
> >
> > Not a good one unfortunately :-(

> Do not get the err on another machine w/ a different motherboard.

Good to hear you're up and running!

Simon.