Subject: Re: FWD from Jeffrey Mogul: Re: Question about copyrights on old material
To: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
From: Bernhard H. Buckel <buckel@wmad95.mathematik.uni-wuerzburg.de>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/22/1999 18:30:51
Dear all,

    Toru> 		[ ... Jeff Mogul speaks out ... ]
    >>> If you get me a list of the documents in question (PLEASE be
    >>> as specific as possible - part numbers, revision numbers,
    >>> dates, and exact titles - and please make the listing as neat
    >>> as possible, too) I will try to get someone in authority to
    >>> issue a statement.
    >>>
    >>> I was recently able to get approval to release the AlphaServer
    >>> 2100 technical specs - nobody seemed to have any objections,
    >>> in fact.  Generally, the powers that be seem more than willing
    >>> to support all of the open-source OS efforts.
    >>>
    >>> No promises, though!
    >>>
    >>> -Jeff

    Toru> I've been dreaming to obtain several DECstation functional
    Toru> specificiations for long time.  According to CMU Mach source
    Toru> codes, project members were supplied technical docos of
    Toru> DECstation internals from d|i|g|i|t|a|l.

Well, with a bit of luck we could obtain them, too ;)

    Toru>         "DECstation 3100 Desktop Workstation Functional
    Toru> Specification" Workstation Systems Engineering, Palo Alto,
    Toru> CA. Aug 28, 1990.

    Toru> This documentation bas been available as a PostScript file
    Toru> in gatekeeper.

    Toru>         "DECstation 5000/200 KN02 System Module Functional
    Toru> Specification" Workstation Systems Engineering, Palo Alto,
    Toru> CA. Aug 27, 1990.

    Toru> This is also available in gatekeeper.

    Toru>         "3MIN System Module Functional Specification"
    Toru> Revision 1.7 Workstation Systems Engineering, Palo Alto,
    Toru> CA. Sept 14, 1990.  "KN02BA Daughter Card Functional
    Toru> Specification" Revision 1.0 Workstation Systems Engineering,
    Toru> Palo Alto, CA. Aug 14, 1990.

    Toru>         "MAXine System Module Functional Specification"
    Toru> Revision 1.2 Workstation Systems Engineering, Palo Alto,
    Toru> CA. July 15, 1991.

    Toru>         "IO Controller ASIC Functional Specifications"
    Toru> Workstation Systems Engineering, Palo Alto, CA. Feb 1, 1991.

    Toru>         "DESKTOPinterconnect Description and Protocol
    Toru> Specification" Version 0.9, Jun 17 1991 "Open Desktop Bus,
    Toru> Locator Device Protocol Specification" Version 0.4, Dec 13
    Toru> 1990 "Open Desktop Bus, Keyboard Device Protocol
    Toru> Specification" Version 0.7, Jan 9 1991

Ok, I'll add this to the list of documents I found under
http://decstation.unix-ag.org. Any more additions, anyone? I'll
compile our "wish-list" over the weekend if I don't get any more
input. Toru: Could you send me the URLs to the docs you mentioned?

			       Bernhard

--
      Unix is like a wigwam: No fences, no gates, apache inside.