Subject: Re: netboot on 5000/240 probs
To: Michael Bartosh <bartosh@apple.tamu.edu>
From: Jerker Nyberg <jerker@Update.UU.SE>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/22/1999 14:19:23
On Thu, 21 Oct 1999, Michael Bartosh wrote:

> boot /3tftp gets:
>
> ? PC:  0x80021fe4<vtr=NRML>
> ? CR:  0x30000010<CE=3, EXC=AdBL>
> ? SR: 0x30080000<CU1,CU0,CM,IPL=8>
> ? UA: 0xa000sf3a

I had the same problem with our DECstation 5000/240 PMAG-F.  The PROM info
is KN03-AA V5.1b and on
<http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/pmax/board-list.html#proms> it is written
that it doesn't appear to tftp boot correctly. True. :-/

I installed NetBSD on a sparc and Linux on another and tried to dd down
the installationimage to disk.  I couldn't get the DECstation 5000/240 to
boot correctly and I couldn't figure out why. My guess is that the
bootloader didn't get written down?? If somebody has a step-by-step for
dummies description on how to do this to work correctly on a sparc at
least I would be happy.

Instead of worrying more about it I took a Personal DECstation 5000/20 and
netbooted and installed it with NetBSD-1.4.1 and moved the disk over to
the DECstation 5000/240 and that did work all right with a serial VT320
console.

Now I am trying to compile NetBSD-current correctly in order to get the
PMAG-F graphic card to work. At a first try the graphic console seemed to
work but when the screen is scrolling something goes wrong. But the last
line is always correct.  When I tried Xpmax the machined seemed to crash.
However, I think I did something wrong with my compilation of
NetBSD-current so I will first try to understand what I did wrong there.

All help are welcome.

--jerker
Jerker Nyberg
Update Computer Club