Subject: Re: 1.4.1 lost carrier
To: Philip Tait <Philip.Tait@phxase.allied.com>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofy.goof.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/21/1999 14:32:08
On Tue, Oct 19, 1999 at 11:29:05AM -0700, Philip Tait wrote:
> Gregory Smith wrote:
>
> >       Since upgrading my DECstation 5000/125 from 1.4 to 1.4.1, I've
> >       been getting "le0: lost carrier" messages a lot.
>
> Was this one of the symptoms of "SQE Test off"?  (sorry if I sound
> obsessed with this.... :-)  ).

Yes.  I personally never ran across this until I decided one night to
make the world on my AXP 3000/400 which had sources mounted via NFS from
my DECStation 5000/240.  After powering down my /240 [1] and resetting
the SQE switch on the transceiver, everything worked fine with no more
lost carrier messages.

[1] I powered down my /240 to wiggle some questionable RAM, but I apparently
    just made the problem worse, since it now reboots if I stress the
    memory.  Which 8MB module does 0x0440BC98 -- 0x045EBC98 correspond to
    again?  [2]
[2] Simon, I haven't gotten a chance to test the kernel you sent me a
    month ago since my root partition is so tight... [3]
[3] I have an nfsd.core file in my root partition that I can't get rid
    of.  I always get an "Operation not permitted" error.  I assume I
    can't run fsdb on a mounted partition, right? [4]
[4] One of these days I'll repartition and fix it... :)

--
  Aaron J. Grier  | "Not your ordinary poofy goof." | agrier@poofy.goof.com
   "I really admire your perverse mastery of the SPARC branch delay slot,