Subject: Re: FWD from Jeffrey Mogul: Re: Question about copyrights on old material
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: Lord Isildur <isildur@guild.net>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/21/1999 09:37:52
> that way.  But, at least the DS2100/3100 and 5000/25 and 5000/xxx and VAX
> lines would be appropriate.  The operating manuals aren't really all that
> helpful.  Perhaps also some of the hardware spec manuals might be, for
> development work.

the technical manuals are the ones worth having. They can all still be
bought from DECompaq for some outrageous amount of money (generally under
$50 apiece) but when you consider that there are 5 major lines of
DECstation and over 30 different VAX processors which you'd want manuals
for, and 63 different VAX processors in total, youre talking serious $$
for the docs. AFAIK almost none of the VAX stuff is in electronic form.
What you get when you order them is printed material. Someone could make
postscript files out of it or something, but there are copyright questions
there. I dont think anybody cares about the DECstations isnce they only
run ultrix which has only 3 months of support left, and DECompaq makes
just about nothing form old DECstations still on service or whatever.
however, the VAX line is still alive and kicking, though theyre trying to
strangle it. They make a _ton_ of money on it and they probably will be
unhappy to say the least of someone publishing their technical manuals
eletronically :)
Most of this info isnt even in the consolidated documentation set that
shipped with Ultrix. Some of it is inthe VMS documentation (for VAX, of
course)..