Subject: Re: ld.elf_so bug in 1.4.x on pmax?
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Bernhard H. Buckel <buckel@wmad95.mathematik.uni-wuerzburg.de>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/21/1999 11:38:48
Hi!

    >> Uhmmm... nope. I'm writing this under a "homegrown" Emacs 20.3
    >> redirected to a VXT2000+ qon a 1.4 based installation. I had
    >> some minor quirks getting this beast up and running but AFAIK
    >> it seems to be rock solid. Additional info:

    Jonathan> When you say ``homegrown'', does that mean you're using
    Jonathan> the NetBSD package system?  If you're not, does your

No, mine is compiled from the original source. There were some patches
dating from the beginning of the year in the mailinglist archive which
I applied. Some minor changes here and there and I was set.

    Jonathan> emacs `unexec' or does it take 45-60 seconds to load in
    Jonathan> all the e-lisp each time it starts up?

So then this is what the patch did, de-unexecing the source. My emacs
takes some 30 secs to start.

    Jonathan> It seems to be the unexec'd emacses which don't work.
    Jonathan> IIRC, even the old 1.3.x binaries show the same symptom.

That's why I built it myself. Now emacs' footstamp is slightly smaller
than with the old static 1.3 binary ;)

Bernhard

--
      Unix is like a wigwam: No fences, no gates, apache inside.