Subject: Re: 5000/1xx Hardware Maintenance Guide
To: Richard van den Berg <R.vandenBerg@inter.NL.net>
From: Bernhard H. Buckel <buckel@wmad95.mathematik.uni-wuerzburg.de>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/21/1999 01:48:04
Dear all,

    Richard> On 19 Oct 1999, Jonathan Stone wrote:
    >> I agree it'd be nice to have a comparison by someone who's
    >> acutally tried both.

    Richard> What would you like to compare? I have Linux running on a

Well, mainly I was thinking n term of usabiliy and maturity. Seem like
you rate both of them equal. Well, my 2G disk is coming within the
next few days...

    Richard> /133 and a /25 and the /25 regularly runs NetBSD 1.3.1
    Richard> too.

Looks like I can expect something from my trusty 5000/50 ;)

    Richard> My personal opinion is use the OS that suits your

D'accord.

    Richard> needs. With Linux I was able to learn a bit of
    Richard> programming and kernel development. With NetBSD I'm able
    Richard> to use the /25 as a diskless X-terminal, I'm satisfied
    Richard> with that!  Allthough eager to get the on-board ISDN
    Richard> working. :-)

How about the sound support under Linux? I mean, whoever heard that
"Texas, oh Texas" thingie under Ultrix on a Personal DS must have
become addicted ;) Any chances to get this under NetBSD, too?

Cheers,
			       Bernhard

--
      Unix is like a wigwam: No fences, no gates, apache inside.