Subject: Re: 1.4L doesn't like my 5000/133
To: None <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@tardis.bernstein.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/20/1999 20:56:17
>Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 02:22:33 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
>
>I'd really strongly recommend upgrading to 1.4.1 before trying
>to do a source build of -current. I doubt it'll cure your
>problem, but it's worth doing.

I completely upgraded to 1.4.1 (before I had just upgraded base & comp
sets).  I then started over with the upgrade to -current (recompile &
reinstall make; recompile & reinstall config; configure, compile, and
install new kernel; reboot; make build).

The result was a panic, same as before.

I'm afraid this is way over my head.  I tried looking at the pmap code
and uvm code, but very quickly got lost.  I did notice that a kernel
compiled with "options PARANOIADIAG" would get die as soon as Xpmax
was started:

Oct 20 18:46:00 ubik savecore: reboot after panic: pmap_enter: prot

I don't know if that's an indication of a real bug, or if PARANOIADIAG
is just too paranoid.

--
entropy