Subject: Re: help please
To: Daniel Senderowicz <daniel@synchrods.synchrods.COM>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/20/1999 10:42:14
Daniel Senderowicz wrote:

> I got a bit farther now. When I booted install.ecoff
> (netbsd.ecoff) it went well up to the point of setting up the
> disk partitions. However when it prompted me to load the subsets
> the TK50 option was not there (I have all the *.tgz files in a
> TK50 tape). Unfortunately I cannot ftp nor use any other net
> options.  I was thinking of faking the TK50 drive as the floppy
> drive, but when I entered a device name it hanged. Now that I
> have the console prompt, I cannot boot since it comes back with
> a message saying:
>
> open 5/rz0/boot: 2
> Can't load '5/rz0/boot'

/boot is in the base set (base.tgz) - unless you extract that, you
won't be able to boot off the disk.
Did you have Ultrix on another disk?  If so, you can boot the install
kernel again, and then you could manually extract the sets from
the tape with something like:

	# mount /dev/rz0a /mnt
	# mount /dev/rz0d /mnt/usr
	  (and whatever other filesystems you have on your new
	   disk, relative to /mnt)
	# mkdir /mnt/usr/INSTALL
	# cd /mnt/usr/INSTALL
	# tar xvf /dev/nrst0
	   (repeat for each set if you used a tar archive for
	    each set...)
	# cd /mnt
	# for i in /mnt/usr/INSTALL/*.tgz; do
	> tar xpfz $i