Subject: Re: 5000/1xx Hardware Maintenance Guide
To: None <buckel@wmad95.mathematik.uni-wuerzburg.de>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/19/1999 15:53:39
>Funny, that you're asking - we're just planning to put the
>documentation presented at http://decstation.unix-ag.org to the
>pmax-port pages. I'll try to get a statement about copyright issues
>from DECPAQ tomorrow. I'm rather sure they won't object... So we dn't
>have to send people to the "rival's page" ;)

Cool!

>Besides: Has anyone
>already tried the Linux port? All I got so far was hearsay and my 1Gig
>disk is rather crammed...

Not personally, but from reports here and comp.sys.dec it sounds less
than complete on platforms for which no hardware docs are available:
3MIN and 3MAX/3MAXPLUS/BIGMAX.  (5000/1xx, 5000/240, 5000/260).  Not
sure about the /200 and 2100/3100.  Doubt they support 5100s at all.
I hear even the MAXINE (5000/xx) code is less polished.

I agree it'd be nice to have a comparison by someone who's acutally
tried both.

--Jonathan