Subject: Re: Free DS3100s + DS5000/20s to good home
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/19/1999 12:25:54
Jonathan Stone wrote:

> Simon -- do the bootblocks support bz2?

No they don't.  I'm reluctant to add bz2 support, since bzip2 requires
2.3MB in "slow" mode to decompress (and 3.7MB in "normal" mode).  With
the current bootblocks loading at 7MB (to fix gziped install kernels
below that) we effectively rule out 8MB machines with bz2 kernels.
Maybe we could play games with different bootblocks that support smaller
bz2 kernels that load at say 4MB or 5MB, but it's starting to sound
painful.

Here's some figures:

	-current stripped mostly generic kernel		1896448 bytes
	gzip -9 of above				 769431 bytes
	bzip2 -9 of above				 697330 bytes

	1.4.1 stripped install kernel (inc. 5100)	3141072 bytes
	gzip -9 of above				1017555 bytes
	bzip2 -9 of above				 913661 bytes

Is the RX23 a 1.2 or 1.44MB floppy?  Either way, we should be able to
use gzip for now without having to worry about the bzip2 issues

> You can boot from the floppy with 7.0 PROMs

I'm a little confused - doesn't the floppy just appear as a small SCSI
device?  I would have guessed that as long as normal SCSI identify, mode
sense, read, etc commands work things should "Just Happen(tm)"...

Simonh.