Subject: Re: Free DS3100s + DS5000/20s to good home
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/19/1999 12:12:27
NetBSD Bob wrote:

> > >The Pmax distribution runs fine on those critters, although I have had
> > >trouble with prom revisions later than 7.00.  Anyone offhand know why
> > >the Pmax distribution would not run on the DS3100s with the flopppy
> > >upgrades (7.02 or 7.03)?
> >
> > No clue. It worked fine for me as of 1.4_ALPHA.  Guess I' ll have to
> > get one from storage and fire it up.
>
> If you find out something, do holler.  Mine would only netboot on the
> 7.00 or 7.01 rom, and died on the 7.03 rom.

I'm pretty sure I've got a 7.03 that works ok.  The serial cable is
connected to a 5100 at the moment, and I'm at home so I can't double
check...

> > BTW, has anyone tested Simon's 1.4.1-ish install kit for 5100s on
> > a 3100 or 5000/200?
>
> No, tell me more.  I have a couple of spare 3100s sitting that I would
> like to get NetBSD up on, but they have the later roms that I was having
> trouble with.

The install kernel on in pub/NetBSD/arch/pmax/5100test on ftp.netbsd.org
has some changes for 5100 console support that _may_ affect the 3100,
but I don't have a headed 3100 to test them on...

Jonathan - that 1.4.1ish kernel doesn't boot on a 5100, and the wbflush
routine matches -current.  Other than that and the serial console, was
there anything else that needed updating?

Simon - at home with the flu again :-(