Subject: Re: Free DS3100s + DS5000/20s to good home
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/18/1999 15:24:09
On Mon, Oct 18, 1999 at 03:23:18PM -0400, NetBSD Bob wrote:
> > I have about 6 DS3100s (mono,20M RAM 100M DISK or no DISK) and 4
> > DS5000/20s (16MRAM no DISK) free to a good home preferably in the SF bay
> > area but I will ship them if you pay shipping costs. Otherwise out they
> > go...
>
> One of the folks on the list in Eastern Arizona was looking for a DS3100,
> if he is still listening.  It would be easier shipping from there than
> from me back here on the floodplains of NC.....(:+}}....
>
> The Pmax distribution runs fine on those critters, although I have had
> trouble with prom revisions later than 7.00.  Anyone offhand know why
> the Pmax distribution would not run on the DS3100s with the flopppy
> upgrades (7.02 or 7.03)?

My 3100 is probably one of the last built (it was obtained via a
complete motherboard swap under DEC warranty in late 1992), and has
7.01 firmware.  It seems to run NetBSD just fine -- indeed, it was
the machine the NetBSD/pmax port was first booted on.

The machine doesn't have its floppy currently installed, but the
pmax floppy is just a SCSI device -- you can in fact connect it
to anything and it acts like a very small removable SCSI disk --
so I don't see what it'd change.  When originally purchased in 1990,
in fact, the machine came with floppy disk, RZ23, RZ24, and TK50.

	"And where do all these highways go, now that we are free?"