Subject: Re: 1.4.1 Kernels dont boot and 1.3.3 have no net
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Pitchford <cpitchford@intrepid.co.uk>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/15/1999 10:16:04
Chris Pitchford <cpitchford@intrepid.co.uk>

On Fri, 15 Oct 1999, Toru Nishimura wrote:

> > # ping 10.1.3.1
> > PING TO 10.1.3.1 (10.1.3.1): 56 data bytes
> > le0: device timeout
>
> It's very interesting.  Although this might sound a dumbest question,
> is the network connection 100% ok?

The network definately works ok. I can boot (or at least load and crash)
any of the ecoff kernels and I can boot DECStation Linux using TFTP and
NFS root and telnet into the box and play around..

> > I wondered if it was due to it using an incorrect interface so I tried
> >
> > # ifconfig le0 media AUI
> > ifconfig: SIOSIFMEDIA: Device not configured
>
> It's an expected behaviour of DECstation as it doesn't accept media
> selection.  It needs to be improved misleading 'Device not configured'
> complainment by ifconfig(8) because it knows the network interface is
> 'manual' and no selection availble.
Ah ha!.. that could explain that... I also tried 1.3.2 last night but it
produced the same results as 1.3.3. I'm wondering if there is something
slightly strange abou tthis hardware. The machine was bought in the UK
about 6 or 7 years ago I believe. I don't suppose anyone knows of any
strange differences in UK models of 5000/120s.  Alternatively has anyone
copiled a kernel (cut down or otherwise) that they are using on a
5000/120?

It does seem a little strange. I think I might get a copy of NetBSDi386
and see if I can't get that running on my peecee atleast then I can
attempt a cross compile. I don't think my 1997 distro of Linux is quite up
to it.. I must reinstall a new version of that too!!

Cheers everyone

Chris