Subject: Re: Net Booting 5000/120
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/14/1999 13:46:55
	[ ... netboot problem with DS5000/120 ... ]

| KN02-BA V5.8f
|
| >> boot 3/tftp/Server/dec/kernels/nfsnetbsd
|
| -tftp boot(3), bootp 10.1.3.1:/Server/dec/kernels/nfsnetbsd
| -tftp load 988432+44960+143732
|
| then the system hangs..

It's possible kernel erroneusly switched console to serial port at the
moment.

| With tiny.ecoff it managed to clear the screen and display a solid block
| white cursor in the top left hand corner of the display but there was no
| text.
|
| The machine itself doesn't have anything particularly unusual. The only
| slot used has the framebuffer card in it (when it ran Ultrix it was
| 1024x768x256colors). Linux identified the card as:
|    slot 0: DEC      PMAG-BA  V5.3a
|
| I'm not sure if I'm booting the machine correctly or if it is trying to
| use the serial console?

It's worthwhile to try serial console boot.  Unplugging DB15 bulk head
connector for keyboard/mouse and power-cycle will switches DS into serial
console mode.  Or, type 'setenv console s' from bitmap console.  Serial
console will immediately be active after the input.  Physical removal
of CX framebuffer option card will result in serial console mode, also.

Tohru Nishimura
Nara Institute of Science and Technology