Subject: Bad Sector on /usr
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brad Henry <bnh@dimension6.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/10/1999 15:34:12
Hey everyone, this isn't directly a pmax question, but it's giving me
problems and i'm not sure what to do here.

I have a 1gb seagate scsi hd in my decstation 5000/120 running 1.4.1, and
/usr (/dev/rz3d) has a bad block at 2102406.

When I bootup the decstation in single user mode, with only / mounted, i try
to issue

scsictl /dev/rz3d reassign blkno 2102406

to mark this block and scsictl returns

scsictl: unknown bus command: reassign

if i have /usr mounted, and try the above scsictl command, it returns

scsictl: /dev/rz3d: Device busy

so if i can't use scsictl when the device is mounted, and when i try to use
it when the device is not mounted, scsictl thinks im trying to issue a bus
command, how can i mark this block?

unfortunately a lowlevel format is out of the question until after
christmas.

Any ideas or another way i can mark this block as bad?

Thanks again,
Brad