Subject: Re: Evil smell
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: David Evans <dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/08/1999 11:12:56
Herb Peyerl wrote:

> This commonly happens to cars up here in canada.  You park your nice warm
> car overnight and a cat inevitably finds its way into the engine compartment
> and falls asleep...

  For the record I have *never* seen this happen.  ;-)
  Back to the rancid 5000/200...it could just be dust.  Evil dust.  There's
a surprising amount of it around in old hardware.  The rough surface of
ceramic IC packages tends to trap it and make it hard to remove, while their
heat lets it release all its juicy goodness.  You could try cleaning the
inside with heavy-duty compressed air.
  Also try disconnecting the power supply from the motherboard and turning
it on to determine where the vermin live.

--
David Evans          (NeXTMail/MIME OK)             dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
Computer/Synth Junkie                      http://bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/~dfevans/