Subject: Re: Is this just the way it is with 1.4 Pmax?
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/05/1999 11:19:34
>>> Now that is a strange one.  Why would I be expected to look for a SUN
>>> monitor description to come up on a DEC machine?
>>
>> Very counter-intuitive, but it's because the way to raster console
>> designed.  NetBSD/alpha has the same property as it also shares rcons
>> code with other ports.
>
> Would it be a pain to add a termcap alias called "rcons" or something like
> that, to sound less system-specific, or am I missing something obvious?

You have 100% points.  It would be also very benefitial NetBSD could
have cross-platform TERM entry common across various ports.  WSCONS
goes toward the goal (slowly and, ahem, monstrously).  I don't oppose
anything about cursor keys/function keys on 'standard' keyboard
layouts.  They should be useful as possible as designed so.  It's
unfortunate the issue has not been addressed well, and must be improved.

Tohru Nishimura
Nara Institute of Science and Technology