Subject: Re: Is this just the way it is with 1.4 Pmax?
To: None <gary@spiritwars.com>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/04/1999 09:45:03
> On Fri, 1 Oct 1999, wb2oyc wrote:
>
> > Certainly...and I'm doing boot 3/rz0/netbsd at the monitor prompt...
>
> You probably want to do a 'setenv boot "/3/rz0/netbsd -aN"' at the >>
> prompt so it'll boot up properly on powerup or reset. I believe I found
> this one in the FAQ. The -a switch is for multi-user mode but I never saw
> any ref to -N.

What does the -N specify?

> > Not so; tried that...its not there!  neither is wscons...
>
> How about vt100?

Doesn't work.... NONE of the termcap entries work.... and I can't live
without a functioning vi.....(:+{{.....

> I haven't had any terminal navigation issues that you seem to be. Then
> again I'm not using X and just using a WYSE 520 as a serial console.

Try that on the DEC VR-269 mono monitor on a DS 2100 or 3100 and you will
really have fun with vi scrolling to hell strangely.  I spent several
hours trying every terminal entry I could find.... all with poor outcome.
Vt220 is close but still not quite.  Same on a DS5000/25.

> If you've used Linux much you'll find that it is more BSD like these days
> with the exception of the SYSV run levels. Any more you'll see that any OS
> but the purely BSD derivatives are influenced heavily from both camps.

I don't want Linux.  I WANT NetBSD TO WORK CORRECTLY.  I really, really do!

So, what is the correct root terminal entry at login so vi works on a
DS 2100 or 3100 with the old dumb mono screen?  I really, really want
to get vi to work, correctly.  It does fine on Ultrix.  It should also
on NetBSD.  If rcons is associated with it... what/where/how rcons?

> Recommending WinNT to a masochist is like handing a pipe to a crackhead.

Unless dictated by the boss......(:+{{.....

Anyway, what is needed to get vi to work correctly on pmax?

Thanks

Bob