Subject: Re: Is this just the way it is with 1.4 Pmax?
To: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.msu.montana.edu>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/04/1999 10:08:00

> > > Not so; tried that...its not there!  neither is wscons...
> >
> > try sun...

Not to be picky or anything, but can anyone explain why I would be
expected to call up a sun monitor on a DECstation?  That is not
exactly intuitive, and not easily found in the INSTALL.txt.

>   Another possibility would be to get src/share/termcap/termcap.src off
> ftp.netbsd.org, extract out the rcons entry, and add it to your current
> termcap database [or just replace the 1.4 termcap with the one from
> ftp.netbsd.org].

I just checked that, and an rcons entry is there, and it calls the
sun-il entry.

Why was that not in the 1.4.1 release?

Can someone make an entry to call rcons so that any logical entry
call would get it?  For example, on a pmax port, set rcons to be also
pmax to be also sun-il.

rcons|pmax|BSD rasterconsole:\..... etc.

A newbie doing a basic install should not be required to hack it at
that level, with illogical naming conventions.  That is silly.

>   Also, I think the install filesystem includes a termcap file which has
> the rcons termcap in it.

Not that comes up in the install.  Once installed, in pmax, rcons
returns an error to the effect that it is not found.  If it should do
otherwise, something is messed up in the pmax 1.4.1 suite.

This is something that really needs to be fixed so it comes up on
a pmax console (on any pmax machine) without needing hacking.
IFF it is something that folks want to keep a hacking issue, it
at least needs to be in the INSTALL.txt file.

Now that I see what it is doing,  I will manually add the rcons entry
when I get home to the machine tonight and see if it works.

Thanks

Bob