Subject: Re: booting a diskless Ultrix box of a netbsd box?
To: None <buckel@wmad95.mathematik.uni-wuerzburg.de>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/03/1999 18:47:07
"Bernhard H. Buckel" wrote:

> Dear all,

>     Simon> A bit of a funny off-topic question...  I'd like to boot a
>     Simon> diskless DECstation 5000/133 of a NetBSD server.  Usually,
>     Simon> these boot via mop and have a three component boot - an
>
> Uhmm - correct me it I'm wrong, but IIRC you can boot DECstations via
> tftp.

Just to be clear (which I really wasn't in my initial message) - I'm
trying to boot a diskless Ultrix workstation, not NetBSD...  If I
boot an Ultrix kernel, it just complains about not finding the root
filesystem (missing netblock).

>     Simon> initial netboot loader, a paramater file (the netblk.o) and
>     Simon> the kernel itself.  The mopd we have is hardly non-vax
>
> netblk.c can be configured to your likings. The modification process
> is described in the Ultrix-FAQ. I did this for a VAX I wanted to
> netboot.
>
>     Simon> aware and certainly can't handle sending more than one
>     Simon> component to the client.  Does anyone know of a way to get
>     Simon> an Ultrix kernel to use bootp to get it root/swap info?
>
> A quick shot whould be to build a proper kernel (you have to link
> netblk.o into the kernel) anf rarp/tftp the stuff. I'm not sure
> whether the (r)arp process will override the kernel settings, but I
> fear not ;( Maybe supplying an installation kernel might help?

For MIPS, the kernel loads at 0x80030000, but the netblk.o loads at
0x8001fc00, and there's prom space inbetween that probably shouldn't
be overwritten.  I couldn't find a reference in the Ultrix FAQ about
actually linking in the netblock - any pointers?

Simon.