Subject: Re: Is this just the way it is with 1.4 Pmax?
To: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofy.goof.com>
From: wb2oyc <wb2oyc@bellatlantic.net>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/02/1999 19:20:47

>Hmm... there should a binary bash package at the main ftp site.  Suck
>down the .tgz, and then 'pkg_install bash-2.03.tgz'.  The other option
>is to build it yourself via the magic of pkgsrc.  :)

I did install a bunch of stuff from the source (ftp.netbsd.org) this
morning.
and one of those was bash.  I was online for several hours using pkg_add
by
ftp and it worked just fine!

What I had done before was ftp'd a bunch of stuff I wanted, and put it on
one of my old Sun's here...a Classic that runs Redhat Linux 5.2.  It never
gets shut off...oh, its also my boot server and where I installed
originally
from using NFS.

Anyway, the structure I created with those packages on it wasn't right I
guess because if I try to use pkg_add to do it, it almost always
fails..and
that was the gotcha because it worked fine doing it online this morning
from
netbsd.org...

I use an old laptop as my NAT'ing/masquerading router, so the Pmax just
sits
here on my ethernet...

>> got stuck with disklabel.  the no label on the disk, so you can't
>> write one to it...never did get it rignt, so I just used sysinst to do
>> it...
>
>This got me too the first couple of times I tried to install NetBSD...
>the trick is that the kernel will fudge up an "in-core" disklabel that
>you need to physically write to the disk as follows:
>
>disklabel rz1 > /tmp/fakelabel
>[then edit the disklabel with vi if you wish...]
>disklabel -R -r rz1 /tmp/fakelabel
>
>that second disklabel is the one that actually writes the label to the
>disk...

Aaron,

Perfect!  Yah, thats what I couldn't get done, that writing it out to
the darn disk!  I did get it built "in core" as the man page says but
couldn't get the syntax correct to write it out....

paul