Subject: Is this just the way it is with 1.4 Pmax?
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: wb2oyc <wb2oyc@bellatlantic.net>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/01/1999 18:50:54
Hi and thank you for your efforts...

I'm a newbie here, but not to NetBSD...have used it on Mac and Intel.
And after a bit of a stuggle I did manage to get it going on one of
my 5000/25's...40MB of RAM.  I've been struggling along for over a
week now, trying to get things right, but at this point I'm wondering
if I've only made things worse in the process.

Here's why:

1) Every boot puts me in single user.  Is that supposed to happen?
   The reason I ask is for the life of me I can't see where any error
   preceeded that, but whether I do a normal shutdown or not, there
   are always errors found on the disk when I do fsck at that point.
   Hardware problem maybe?

2) What is the proper response to the prompt "Terminal type"?  No matter
   what I tell it, if I have a file in an editor (vi, joe, whatever) the
   file does not scroll when you reach the bottom line or using Next on
   the edit keypad.  When in X, I can use them ok in an xterm but not at
   the console.  Reading a man page is fine...scrolls properly, etc.  I
   had to ftp the rc.conf file to another system so I could edit it, and
   then put it back after the original install to get around this...at
   that point there was no X.

3) How to stop messages from corrupting the root window when in X?  Will
   being logged in as my user account stop this maybe?

4) pkg_add by ftp always fails with "unexpected end of file" from gzip,
   "child exited with status 1" and then pkg_add asking "is this a
package"?

5) Then, if I ftp that same package over to the pmax and use pkg_add, it
blows
   up, and messages from the lockmgr saying "I'm locking against myself"
and
   the pmax reboots and ends up at the boot prompt.

6) The first attempts to use pkg_add failed because there were no
directories
   created under /usr for it...I manually had to add the /pkg and those
under
   it (bin, lib and so on).  Did I forget others maybe?  Or, why didn't
the
   install do this, or is there something else I'm supposed to do that
would
   take care of it?  The FAQ or none of the other doc's I've read mention
that
   this is a postinstall step...

Have I wasted this install and actually made things worse?  Should I just
start
over?  Oh, the original install was a netboot and NFS deal, so its not
like I
have the CD on the pmax.

bummed out!
Paul