Subject: DS3100 build of -current using -current kernel always panics
To: NetBSD/pmax Discussion List <port-pmax@NetBSD.Org>
From: Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/26/1999 12:24:16
Has anyone managed successfully to do a "make build" of -current under a
-current kernel (or at least a post-1.4.1 release kernel)?  I've had no
luck at all doing much of anything with a post-1.4.1 kernel on my
DECstation 3100 because after a while (under heavy load) the system
always panics and reboots.

I managed to "make build" -current using my 1.4.1 release kernel (built
using the release sources), but, "upgrading" the kernel to -current (so
ps, top, install, etc. would work without complaining) resulted in a
system unstable to the point that I've decided to load up with the
1.4.1-release sources and regress the whole thing back to 1.4.1-release
(using a 1.4.1 GENERIC kernel from another NetBSD/pmax system).  (It's
doing a "make build" as I type...)

Is anyone else having this problem?  Like I said, it only started
happening when I tried using post-1.4.1 release kernels...

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu

"I don't live today; maybe tomorrow..."