Subject: DS3100 - DS5000/25 funzies.....(:+{{...
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/20/1999 12:28:56
After some prodigious head scratching, late nite oil burning, and swapping
parts galore from the junk box into an assortment of DEC hardware
(DS2100, DS3100, DS5000/25), I managed to get one DS3100 and one DS5000/25
up on NetBSD-1.4.1, netbooted from the FreeBSD server.  Although they
mostly seem to be working, I have some detail questions.

1.  What is it with DEC roms and netbooting?  On the DS3100, I could
netboot 7.00 rom, but not 7.01, or 7.03 roms (the ones with the scsi
floppy addins).  On the DS5000/25, I could netboot 2.0 rom, but not
2.1m rom.

2.  What is the proper terminal designation for a DS3100 using the old
VR-262 mono monitor, and a DS5000/25 with the VRC-16 monitor?  I tried
all the usual vtXXX things, but most did not work correctly.  The closest
thing on the DS3100 was a vt220.  The closest thing on the DS5000/25
was a vt525.

3.  On the DS3100 X11, how does one set the video color on mono?
Black letters on a black background are a bit hard to see.

4.  On the DS3100, how does one set black letters on a white background.
Man causes highlighting to occur but does not turn it off when exiting.
Thus, the screen gets all messed up with white highlighting and becomes
mostly unreadable.

Thanks

Bob