Subject: Re: Bootable CDs
To: <>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/18/1999 12:42:53
Simon Burge wrote:

> From the looks of things, alpha needs the last 32 bytes of the first
> sector (with a valid checksum).  I think the pmax needs 24 bytes
> starting at byte 8 - the rest of the first sector doesn't matter.  You
> mention sparc as a sector-0 dependant arch - do you know what it needs
> and if there are any others that need sector zero?

Thinking about this a little more - at the moment the pmax stuff assumes
that the first stage is in the remainder of the the first 8kBytes of
the disk, and it looks like the Alpha does too.  One idea that comes to
mind it to allow installboot to take an offset into the disk where stage
one is located.  Then on a CD, you could have the iso9660 filesystem
finishing at some certain offset before the end of the CD and either the
pmax or alpha stage one (or possible both if some other architectures
want stuff in the first 8 sectors) after the iso9660 filesystem.

Thoughts and ideas?

Simon.