Subject: Re: DECstation 3100 hardware questions
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/13/1999 10:18:05
> I've got a couple of hardware questions about DECstation
> 3100's.. there doesn't seem to be much info about them
> around.

> What kind of floppy drives can be used? There's the RX*
> series, but DEC parts (like vaxes) are pretty thin on
> the ground around here. Are there any cheap Mac units
> that work? I had thought that SCSI floppies might be
> fairly generic, but a Mac guy has told me otherwise..

DEC SCSI floppy drive was definitely rare and supposedly pretty
expensive device.  It has a daughter card to make a PC/Mac style
floppy SCSI-alike.  It has 53C94 and i8085 on each.  What a
technological waste it is.  In short, floppy is not very useful and
never been standard for workstations.

Tohru Nishimura