Subject: DECstation 3100 hardware questions
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Jeffrey Murphy <j.murphy@student.murdoch.edu.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/13/1999 02:47:31
Hi all,

I've got a couple of hardware questions about DECstation
3100's.. there doesn't seem to be much info about them
around.

I picked up 2 of these machines from Uni, each with VR299
monitors. They've got this annoying habit of switching
themselves off; you hear a faint click, the screen goes
blank, and it doesn't come back. After being switched off
they'll run again, but only for a short while.

Any ideas why? The room's not that hot, the and monitors
don't seem abnormally hot either.

What kind of floppy drives can be used? There's the RX*
series, but DEC parts (like vaxes) are pretty thin on
the ground around here. Are there any cheap Mac units
that work? I had thought that SCSI floppies might be
fairly generic, but a Mac guy has told me otherwise..

Thanks for any help.

regards
jeff