Subject: Re: DECstation 3100 hardware questions
To: Jeffrey Murphy <j.murphy@student.murdoch.edu.au>
From: Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/12/1999 15:38:07
On Mon, 13 Sep 1999, Jeffrey Murphy wrote:

=> I've got a couple of hardware questions about DECstation
=> 3100's.. there doesn't seem to be much info about them
=> around.

Actually, you're in luck with a 3100 because there's some system
documentation available in electronic form which I recall to be pretty
detailed.  It's part of the "DEC hardware documentation" archive, and
you can get to that either from the NetBSD/pmax or NetBSD/alpha port WWW
pages (probably both!).

Your problem sounds like it's with the monitors, because my 3100 with
VRC-16 runs fine.

=> What kind of floppy drives can be used? There's the RX*
=> series, but DEC parts (like vaxes) are pretty thin on
=> the ground around here. Are there any cheap Mac units
=> that work? I had thought that SCSI floppies might be
=> fairly generic, but a Mac guy has told me otherwise..

My 3100 doesn't have a floppy drive (but my DEC 3000/300 does:).
Actually, I'd never come across a SCSI floppy drive until I ran across
the DECstations....

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu