Subject: Re: DEC Monitor - will it work with Sun sparc's ?
To: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/06/1999 21:04:54
At 14:12 Uhr +0200 05.09.1999, Simon Burge wrote:
>Darren Reed wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>    I've got a 19" DEC monitor laying around, which I'm not using and which
>> I'd like to connect up to a Sun box.  Only problem is the monitor only has
>> 3 analogue RGB inputs, and the Sun connector I have for RGB connections
>> supplies the sync on a separate cable.  The DEC monitor is of the vintage
>> of 5000/200 series and is a Sony Trinitron, I believe.  Does anyone know
>> if it is possible to get the right sort of connector ?  I imagine the DEC
>> monitor is expecting SYNC on green or some such.
>
>Most (all?) DEC RGB monitors are sync-on-green - tying sync to green
>with a resistor should work (I'll get the value if you need it).
>
>Frequency could be a problem though - don't most Suns do 1152x900?  If
>your monitor is a 19" Trinitron it's probably a VRT19 and does 1280x1024
>at 66 (and 72?)Hz.  If the monitor is useless to you, then you'll have
>to give it to me :-)

Even better: If the monitor is a VRT19, it has everything in place for the
H-/V-sync lines but the BNC sockets and the two holes in the back plate.
Remove the back and you'll see that (and about a dozen knobs for adjusting
all sorts of aspects of teh screen display). I upgraded a VRT19-HA (Sony
GDM-1961) with two BNC plugs for use with a Macintosh Quadra 700 that way.
Later, I found out that the Q700 and the VRT19 can both do sync on green...

	hauke