Subject: Re: Booting DS5000/25 from floppy for installation?????
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/05/1999 09:31:51
Jonathan Stone wrote:

> OTOH, the RX33 or whatever-ti-is in Bob's 3100 would do fine, if
> someone cut a floppy image.  As far as NetBD or the PROM care, it's
> just a tiny SCSI disk.
>
> Simon: does a compressed install (ramdisk) kernel fit into 1.44 meg?
> (we coudl do ustar, but there're so few scsi floppies it hardly seems
> worth it.)

The standard install kernel is something like 1.95MB, so the current 2MB
diskimage is nearly out of room.  I haven't tried to build a -current
install kernel, so this may well not fit now.  However, not everything
would be needed on the diskimage - I dunno if a custom cut-down one
could be made, but it would be a bit of effort...

Simon.