Subject: Re: tape block sizes
To: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
From: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/01/1999 01:04:15
On Wed, 1 Sep 1999, Simon Burge wrote:

> Has anyone played with tape drives on the pmax?
briefly.  I tried an IBM 7206-005 DAT drive several months back with
1.3.3.  I did see some strangness (dont' recall the details) about block
size.  I had been able to tar to and from the tape with no apparent
problems although I didn't test much.  The problem came trying to read a
tape which had some data from a Sparc/SunOs-4.1.4 machine.  Thats when I
saw some complaints about blocking size and I wasn't able to read the
tape, so I moved the tape drive to a NetBSD/sparc machine and haven't had
problems since.  I know this isn't much of a useful answer other than to
say that yeah, I think I saw something funny too.

I seem to recall a bit of a strange message from 'mt status'

-Dan