Subject: Re: MOP booting Decstation 3100 from VMS cluster server?
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Geoff Roberts <geoffrob@stmarks.pp.catholic.edu.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 08/18/1999 15:46:35
----- Original Message -----
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
To: <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
Sent: Wednesday, 18 August 1999 1:45

> Toru Nishimura wrote:
>
> > Does the 'FNF' stand for 'file not found'?  If so, smaller install image
> > provides no help before fixing TFTP configuration.

TFTP configuration appears correct, and I can tftp "install" to a tftp
client on a win98 box.

I have tried several configurations.
I have tried putting a full path name in the bootp configuration,
ie bf="netdisk:[netboot]install" (which is what it should be)
I have the home directory set to the dir where the kernel is,
ie hd="netdisk:[netboot]"
I have tried using name translation in the TFTP config, which directs
requests for file install to netdisk:[netboot]install
by editing the tftp name translation config file.

All give the same result.

the bootpvend parameter winds up set to a string of garbage characters.

after each bootp attempt, however it gets the inetaddress and sinetaddress
correct from the bootp server.
What is the bootpvend parameter supposed to end up as anyway?  The name of
the boot file?
Here's what happens:

>>boot -f tftp()
?477 ordr: tftp()
?470 bterr: tftp()
>>printenv
baud2=1200
baud3=9600
bootmode=*
console=0
scsiid=6
systype=0x82012001
bitmap=0xa000fcc0
bitmaplen=0xc0
osconsole=8
kbd=4
bootpath=tftp
inetaddr=203.103.44.197
sinetaddr=203.103.44.195
bootpvend=cS^&*)&^%
                                 %#@
(not the actual characters, my keyboard won't do 'em, but you get the idea)

subsequent attempts at boot produce this:-

>>boot -f tftp()
?429 tftperr:1 (File not Found)
?429 tftperr:1 (File not Found)
?429 tftperr:1 (File not Found)
?429 tftperr:1 (File not Found)
?470 bterr: tftp()

Until the unit is reset, in which case the original scenario occurs.

I'm getting the impression the bootfile name is getting mangled somehow.

I'm open to suggestions.  So far the RZ23 sounds promising....;^)

Cheers
Geoff Roberts
VK5KDR
Computer Systems Manager