Subject: pppd hangs sometimes
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 08/16/1999 23:25:33
Has anyone else experienced occasional lockups when using pppd?  It used
to hang my DECstation 3100 running NetBSD/pmax 1.3.1 every now and then.
I then upgraded that machine to stock NetBSD/pmax 1.4 and, worryingly,
it was the PPP *server* that started to seize up (pppd under Digital
Unix 4.0D).  That seemed to hang more frequently, to the point that I
had to move the PPP server off the machine and onto another (a
DECstation 5000/240 running stock NetBSD/pmax 1.4.1 snapshot).  The
Digital Unix pppd doesn't have any problems with the pppd I use from my
RedHat 5.2 Linux system, nor from the M$-Windoze NT 4.0 PPP.  It's just
NetBSD that throws a spanner in its works.

Has anyone else had pppd hang their machine, and, if so, do you have any
clue what caused it?

Just curious.

Cheers,

Paul.