Subject: CPU memory read ECC error
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofy.goof.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 08/14/1999 16:10:06
I recently filled my 5000/240 with gobs of 8MB modules...  that was four
days ago.  I tested them with the console tester before I fired
everything up, and they all tested good.  However, now I'm getting:

goldberry:/var/log# grep ECC messages | cut -c36-80 | grep CPU | sort | uniq
CPU memory read ECC error at 0x04403c98
CPU memory read ECC error at 0x0442dc98
CPU memory read ECC error at 0x04473c98
[etc...]

FWIW, if I subtract the highest address from the lowest one, assuming
these are byte-indexed addresses, then they all fall within an 8MB
range.  My hope is that I have a single module that I can fix by
wiggling it a little bit.  (I know I've had to do that before...)

How do I map these to physical addresses so I can figure out which
memory module(s) to wiggle?

Thank goodness for ECC.  Goldberry (my /240) is still chugging along,
compiling today's -current.  I never would've noticed anything anomalous
if I hadn't have checked the logs.

----
  Aaron J. Grier  | "Not your ordinary poofy goof." | agrier@poofy.goof.com
    "[...] of all the port lists to grumble to about slow CPU speeds and
     other resource limitations, I'd imagine that port-vax is not a very
     good choice :-)"  --  Brian D. Chase