Subject: Re: 5000/240 netboot question
To: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
From: David Burren <davidb@osa.com.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 08/11/1999 12:22:43
Dave McGuire wrote:

> >> ?IO: LANCE sts 0xa6b3
> >> /?IO: LANCE sts 0xa6b3
> >> -?IO: LANCE sts 0xa6b3

>   The network isn't very heavily loaded, and it seems to happen *far* too
> frequently to be related to collisions...it literally seems like it's happening
> on every packet.

Hmmm.  I've got to ask - your Ethernet is actually ok isn't it?  I've
seen altogether too many networks with repeaters that have external
transceivers connected with SQE/heartbeat enabled.  While it should be
enabled when connected to a host, on a repeater it causes false
collisions on _every_ packet the repeater sends out that port.  Some
equipment is more sensitive to this than others - many people don't
realise they've got a problem and just think that Ethernets aren't very
fast...

Even if you don't have repeaters with misconfigured transceivers, you'll
have transceivers on the /240s.  They _do_ have SQE/heartbeat _enabled_
don't they?

This might not be it, but it's worth checking...
__
David Burren