Subject: Re: Got 5000/200 Woo hoo!
To: David Evans <dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 08/05/1999 09:22:33
David Evans wrote:

>   Got a 5000/200 today for $16.  Not terribly exciting except that it cam
> with VT320, extraz PMAZ-A SCSI board, and 112MB of RAM.  There's even a
> Prestoserve in there.  Since it has no graphics (it's a DECsystem) I might be
> interested in trading the PMAZ for some kind of graphics board.
>   Should be a little snappier than my quirky tempermental 3100, anyway.

NetBSD/pmax 1.4 had problems with the 5000/200 SCSI controller -
you may want to wait for 1.4.1 to come out, or use the snapshot in
pub/NetBSD/arch/pmax/snapshot/1.4.1.

As far as graphics, I guess you could use the 3100 as a diskless X
terminal, and hide the 5000/200 (plus disks) away in a corner somewhere.
This is the exact setup I had a home (except I had a /240) for a couple
of years.

Simon.